Great Friend and Companion
will surely be missed.
8, 2005 - June 22, 2010
Tuesday, June 22, our daughter had to
make the very unselfish decision to euthanize her dog, Blaze. For
those of you that have been our friends for some time, you know that
she was an extremely talented, intelligent dog who had quite an
independent spirit. A ninety plus pound Lab / Belgian Shepherd
mix that only had one level of a voice. And she always believed she
was the alpha.
You might be wondering why I am writing about this on a website for
Lafayette. Well, if you lived here two years ago, this story might
In April, 2008, the City of Lafayette failed to manage to control
the chemical system that feeds the chlorine into our water supply.
Most of you realize that as we head into testing days, you are
drinking from the swimming pool. But, during the first week of
April, 2008, these levels were out of control. Citizens contacted
city hall, because they knew something was not right. But, our
public works foreman waited to investigate until regular inspections
came up. It turned out that the amount of chlorine being dumped into
the system was extremely high. So high, in fact, it violated the
threshold before the state requires citizen notification.
We didn't know this until we went to the council meeting in April.
No one from the city notified us. No door hangers were hung. No
calls were made. There was a flyer at the council meeting. We asked,
after reading it, when was the city going to notify people? Diane
Rinks advised the state just said it had to be done within 30 days,
so we would receive a note on the back of our water bill. We took
the notice and posted it on this website and emailed to anyone we
could think of. And, as promised, it was on the back of the water
bill – weeks after the initial period of poisoning.
The week before the council meeting, we had to take Blaze to the
vet. She was not well. Bowel issues, dehydration, vomiting, no
appetite. All classic signs of many illnesses, including chlorine
poisoning. That was quite a chunk of change, with no idea what was
causing the issue. It wasn't like we knew to say to the vet, she has
chlorine poisoning. Now what. Then began a period of bladder stones.
There has been a series of problems that can be attributed to the
initial poisoning event.
During that same week, our neighbor's dog, who already was older and
had kidney issues, had to be put down. A week later, a friend here
in Lafayette who was diabetic experienced horrendous kidney stones.
A situation that is still ongoing now and requires additional
treatment. Darrell had kidney stones in June 2008.
Now, while I have heard from a number of people that we should sue
the city, we just don't work that way. Our daughter is out thousands
of dollars – even with all the ways that Carlton Vet contributed to
her care. They have been awesome in the entire process and I would
recommend them to anyone. But, we are not litigious people.
At the time, Councilor Matt Smith extended his apologies upon
finding out about Blaze's condition. Councilor Bob Cullen, also, was
very sympathetic. In fact, he was more helpful, explaining that he
doesn't give his animals drinking water from the tap. He fills
bottles and then lets them sit, in hopes the chlorine will
dissipate. We have installed water filtration throughout our home,
which helps some.
What I want you to take out of this: Don't drink the water straight
from the tap. Even city hall has that figured out – they pay for a
rented filter system because they know the water can be harmful. If
you turn on your faucet and it smells like a pool, let the water
sit. You can boil it too.
If you think back and you have had issues with skin burning, or
health problems or you had an animal that became very ill, we do
want to hear from you. And you should probably let your doctor know
what happened to you then. Eventually, we will post the stories. I
have thought about this for a very long time and feel for those that
have experienced loss because of their decision to live here.
So, for those that think this is about politics or personalities, it
isn't. It's about basic consideration. And a lack of communication.
Because if the city had told us as soon as it had happened, Blaze
would probably be with us today. But, between the original
poisoning, and all the medication since, her quality of life just
wasn't there anymore. So, we had to say goodbye before she was even
five years old.
And that's a problem with living here. The city takes away ones
quality of life – in so many ways.